Takara Shinobu is the main male protagonist of Mononofu. He is a first year student at Senga High School and an amateur shōgi player. He learnt to play shōgi in the boarding house Kayane Manor and has since aspired to become a professional shōgi player.
Shinobu has a slender body and black spiky hair. He is almost always shown as serious looking due to his rigid personality.
- (To Naoi Yasukane) "...It's always been this way. I tried studying more than anyone else, but I failed to get into my first choice...while people who always seemed to be goofing off passed. ...If you're incompetent, if you have no talent, making an effort is pointless..."
- (To himself) "The first time I cried was when I lost the one person who "saw" me. No matter how earnestly I lived, nobody ever turned to face me. The second time I cried was when the words I'd been screaming to a maddening degree first reached someone, because they noticed that I am here."
- (To himself) "...Kaa-san, for the first time I want to try seeing the world. I want to try going in this direction I've found. Is this straight path I've chosen okay?"
- Mononofu Manga: Chapter 1, Page 5
- Mononofu Manga: Chapter 1, Pages 49-50
- Mononofu Manga: Chapter 12, Page 10
- Mononofu Manga: Chapter 1, Pages 24-25
- Mononofu Manga: Chapter 1, Pages 42-44
- Mononofu Manga: Chapter 1, Pages 49-49